Friday 10pm - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Al-Anon Family Group Friday 10pm Recovering in Al-Anon Meeting
INTRODUCTION: Welcome to the Friday 10 PM Recovering in Al-Anon Meeting
which currently uses the Al-Anon book “In All Our Affairs; Making Crises Work For You.”
1) My name is ____________, a grateful member of Al-Anon and your chairperson for this meeting.
The Serenity Prayer:
Chairperson says: Will all who care to join me in a moment of silence, followed by the Serenity Prayer. Please press *1 to unmute.
2) PHONE ETIQUETTE:
a. Prior to joining the meeting, we ask members to temporarily disable their call waiting by dialing *70 before calling the number to the phone bridge (example *70-1-712-432-8733). If a member does not disable their call waiting, we may hear your conversation or beeping.
b. When you dial in, you will start the conference being muted.
c. Stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. You can un-mute by pressing your *1 keys. You will hear a voice saying “you are now un-muted”. Some phones do not have a long enough beep for the muting and un-muting to happen. You may have to press *1 several times for this function to work. When the voice comes on, you will know that the *1 keys have worked.
d. We ask members to use the *1 keys to mute even if they have a mute function on their individual phones. The *1 keys ensures the greatest sound strength for the entire phone line and provides the greatest service to all members of the phone bridge during the meeting.
e. Please do not use a speaker phone for sharing or we will all hear an echo. Some speaker phones will not mute even when pressing your *1 keys.
f. To hear a menu of all the features--such as volume control or member
count-- simply press * by itself.
Chairperson reads: We ask members who have dialed in on the leader code to please hang up and dial back in regularly. On conference service lines multiple members on the leader code can cause technical difficulties. Thank you for your cooperation.
SUGGESTED AL-ANON WELCOME: (…to “Recovering in Al-Anon Meeting Al-Anon Family Group”. . .Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual pgs.10 - 11)
Ask volunteers to read:
a. Suggested Al-Anon Preamble to the Twelve Steps.
(Ask volunteers to read the introductory paragraph to the Steps and Traditions.)
b. All Twelve Steps
c. All Twelve Traditions
Three Obstacles to Success in Al-Anon (The Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual pg. 24)
Let’s go around the globe and introduce ourselves. If you are new to Al-Anon or the Al-Anon Phone Meetings, if you want to, let us know when you introduce yourself so we can welcome you. Please press *1 to unmute. I’ll start . . .
Hi, I’m ______(Name)_____ from (_______State___)
6a) Our Seventh Tradition states we are self-supporting through our own voluntary contributions.
Contributions can be sent to the World Service Office and state that it is from Friday Night’s 10pm “Recovering in Al-Anon” Meeting. Our World Service Office ID number is 30589186.
Or electronically at www.phonemeetings.org under the contributions page.
Also donations can be made at your face-to-face meetings.
6b) Do we have any available Al-Anon Sponsors?
6c) Business Meeting takes place on the 1st Friday of the month.
7) Are there any other Al-Anon related announcements?
Chairperson reads the Anonymity Statement:
In Al-Anon this is a gentle reminder that we speak from our own experience, and ours is derived from living with the effects of alcoholism. We ask those who are members of other anonymous programs not to break their anonymity and to try to identify with the Al-Anon approach for the family illness. Ours is a different experience and calls for a different interpretation.
8) We have three minute shares. Do we have a volunteer to be our spiritual timekeeper?
9) Chairperson Reads:
Before we start sharing, in this meeting we currently read from the Al-Anon book “In All Our Affairs; Making Crises Work For You.” The meeting lasts for one hour and fifteen minutes.
The timekeeper starts the three minute timing when the member begins sharing. Please acknowledge that you have heard the timekeeper by saying "time" and begin wrapping up your share.
[Note: This meeting is designed to use any Al-Anon Book that is not a part of the mainstream books usually used in meetings. The group can go through this book again, choose it as the main book to go through over and over or choose another Al-Anon Book related to recovering from the effects of alcoholism.]
10) This week we are on page _______paragraph _______.
11) May we take a quick count of the number of books available on the line today?
11a) The reading will be seamless. Each person reads ______ paragraph(s) until the reading is completed before we open up for individual shares.
11b) Who would like to share first?
NOTE: Chairperson is encouraged to repeat the book and page numbers that were read.
12) CLOSING (begins 10 minutes after the top of hour)
Chairperson reads: The Al-Anon Suggested Closing. (The Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual pg. 22)
13) Al-Anon Declaration:
Chairperson asks: Will all who care to, join me in closing with the Al-Anon Declaration, followed by The Serenity Prayer. (Al-Anon Declaration can be found in the Al-Anon Alateen Service Manual pg. 22).
Please press *1 to unmute.
14) Names & Telephone Numbers:
Chairperson asks for members to call out names of individuals they want telephone numbers. After all names are requested the chairperson then asks for their phone numbers.
15) Do we have a volunteer who will stay on the line after the meeting to greet newcomers, answer questions about Al-Anon, or to explain the phone etiquette?
The meeting formats and phone bridge information can be accessed on the web at www.phonemeetings.org Format changes and website related requests can be emailed to email@example.com. All other general questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All Eastern Time zone, same pin and phone # as you dialed in for this meeting
6am 7 days a week
Saturday and Sunday
9am Weekdays (Monday thru Friday)
Noon Monday ----- Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
12 midnight Monday and Thursday
Chairperson states: This meeting is now formally closed.
Chairperson turns the meeting over to the newcomer greeter after the meeting closes.