Friday 9am - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
a. Prior to joining the meeting, we ask members to temporarily disable their call waiting by dialing *70 before calling the number to the phone bridge (example *70-1-712-432-8733). If a member does not disable their call waiting, we may hear your conversation or beeping.
b. When you dial in, you will start the conference being muted.
c. Stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. You can un-mute by pressing your *1 keys. You will hear a voice saying “you are now un-muted”. Some phones do not have a long enough beep for the muting and un-muting to happen. You may have to press *1 several times for this function to work. When the voice comes on, you will know that the *1 keys have worked.
d. We ask members to use the *1 keys to mute even if they have a mute function on their individual phones. The *1 keys ensures the greatest sound strength for the entire phone line and provides the greatest service to all members of the phone bridge during the meeting.
e. Please do not use a speaker phone for sharing or we will all hear an echo. Some speaker phones will not mute even when pressing your *1 keys.
f. To hear a menu of all the features--such as volume control or member count--simply press * by itself.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Friday 9am Step Three Beginners Meeting
1) Hi I am ____ your secretary for this meeting. We welcome you to the Friday 9:00 am Step Three Beginners Meeting.
This meeting lasts one hour.
The business meeting is on the first Friday of the month.
The intention of this meeting is for newcomers to Al-Anon to feel welcome and to know how important you are to our fellowship.
2) Let’s open with a moment of silence for those family members still suffering inside and outside of these rooms, followed by the Serenity Prayer.
3) Phone Etiquette:
Please disable your call waiting.
Please do not share on a speaker phone or we will all hear an echo. Please stay muted at all times unless you are reading and sharing.
4) ASK FOR A VOLUNTEER to read:
THE PREAMBE TO THE TWELVE STEPS
THE TWELVE STEPS (Back of all Three Meditation Books)
THE TRADITION OF THE MONTH
THE CONCEPT OF THE MONTH
Now we will Go Around the Globe and Introduce ourselves
Hi I’m______ from ______
6) Al-Anon Seventh Tradition is that – Every group ought to be self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We ask that you send your contributions to WSO or make donations at face to face meetings. Our WSO number is 30534445. Other announcements will be made after the Serenity Prayer at the close of the meeting.
7) Readings: Leader asks for readers to read Step Three from: (note only say the appropriate weeks reading)
We ask those who regularly read at this phone meeting to pause. We welcome people who don’t frequently read to have an opportunity.
1st week of month How Al-Anon Works
2nd week of the month 12 &12 (to end of Step Three (including story)
3rd week of the month Paths To Recovery (up to Members share)
4th week of month 3 Meditation Books (One Day at a Time, Hope for Today, Courage to Change)
5th week of month Step Three in Reaching for
Personal Freedom (All stories should be read and do not read any questions).
8) ASK FOR TIMEKEEPER: We have 3 minute shares. Do we have a volunteer to be our spiritual timekeeper? Please be gentle when you call time. When you hear the timekeeper call time, please let them know you heard them by saying, “Thank you, II’ll wrap up, etc”
9) In Al-Anon this is a gentle reminder: That we speak from our own experience and ours is derived from living with the effects of alcoholism. We ask those who are members of other anonymous fellowships not to break their anonymity and to try and identify with the Al-Anon approach for the family illness. Ours is a different experience and calls for a different interpretation.
Is there someone who would like to share their experience, strength and hope for 5 minutes on Step Three. If no one steps up the leader may speak or open the meeting for sharing. (ON THE 5th FRIDAY OF THE MONTH THERE IS NO SPEAKER – The reading of all the stories in Reaching for Personal Freedom takes the place of the speaker. Ask speaker if she/he would like to be timed by the spiritual timekeeper and if they want a warning.
10) Please disable your call waiting before dialing into the meeting and do not share on a speaker phone or we will all hear an echo. The service position of monitor watches a phone board for conference call quality and will clear the line as needed. When possible, the monitor will gently announce the clearing of the line so everyone can hear. If you are disconnected please call back in and stay muted. Please stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. *1 is how you mute and un-mute. Know you are welcomed and included in a meeting even when you are muted.
11) OPEN FOR SHARING: We are now open for sharing we invite newcomers and people new to the bridge to share first. We ask those who regularly share at this phone meeting to pause, and allow people who don’t frequently share to have an opportunity.
12) CLOSING: (At 3 minutes before the hour)
(Thank everyone for service.)
It is now time to close the meeting. Please press *1 to un-mute and join us in closing our meeting with the Serenity Prayer:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
(Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual pg. 12)
At this meeting people can ask for numbers or give out their numbers for giving and receiving outreach. Would anyone like to request a phone number?
(Get requests and give out phone numbers now.)
We will read the list of all the Al-Anon phone meetings on the phone bridge after the meeting closes.
The bridge remains open for questions and sharing after the official meeting ends. At this meeting fellowship continues as long as there are 2 or more people on the line or until the next meeting is scheduled to begin.
Is there someone who can stay after the meeting to greet newcomers and answer questions and continue the sharing?
13) Announcements: Our Business meeting is the first Friday of the month. The business meeting will go no longer than and hour.
Are there any other Al-Anon related announcements?
FORMAL MEETING IS NOW CLOSED
The meeting formats and phone bridge information can be accessed on the web at www.phonemeetings.org Format changes and website related requests can be emailed to email@example.com. All other general questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
After meeting list is read say
OPEN FOR MORE FELLOWSHIP AND TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS FROM NEWCOMERS OR PEOPLE NEW TO THE BRIDGE
All meetings on this phone line are Eastern time.
6am 7 days a week
Saturday and Sunday
9am Weekdays (Monday thru Friday)
Noon Monday ----- Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
12 midnight Monday and Thursday
Now _____ will answer questions from newcomers and continue fellowship