Thursday 10pm - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
a. Prior to joining the meeting, we ask members to temporarily disable their call waiting by dialing *70 before calling the number to the phone bridge (example *70-1-712-432-8733). If a member does not disable their call waiting, we may hear your conversation or beeping.
b. When you dial in, you will start the conference being muted.
c. Stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. You can un-mute by pressing your *1 keys. You will hear a voice saying “you are now un-muted”. Some phones do not have a long enough beep for the muting and un-muting to happen. You may have to press *1 several times for this function to work. When the voice comes on, you will know that the *1 keys have worked.
d. We ask members to use the *1 keys to mute even if they have a mute function on their individual phones. The *1 keys ensures the greatest sound strength for the entire phone line and provides the greatest service to all members of the phone bridge during the meeting.
e. Please do not use a speaker phone for sharing or we will all hear an echo. Some speaker phones will not mute even when pressing your *1 keys.
f. To hear a menu of all the features--such as volume control or member count--simply press * by itself.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Thursday 10pm Blueprint for Progress
1. Welcome to the Blueprint for Progress 4th step meeting. Hi, my name is ___________, a grateful Al-Anon member and your Chairperson for this meeting.
--Use *70 to disable call waiting before calling in
--You’ll enter the meeting being muted
--Un-mute and mute with *1 keys
--Do not share on a speaker phone
--Please stay muted at all times unless sharing
2. Let’s open with a moment of silence for those family members still suffering inside and outside of these rooms, followed by the Serenity Prayer. Press *1 if you would like to join us.
3. 7th Tradition: Al-Anon is fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We ask that you send your contributions to WSO, 1600 Corporate Landing Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA 23454-5617 – with this meeting’s I.D.# 30594084.
4. At this meeting, we ask that if anyone wants to
announce meetings with other phone numbers and access codes, that you wait till
after the close of the meeting when meeting time schedules are read.
5. Are there any Al-Anon announcements?
6.Business Meeting is on the 1st Thursday of the Month.
7. Let’s go around the globe and introduce ourselves. Hi, I am ______(Name)_____ from (_______State___)
8. May I have three volunteers to read the Suggested Welcome, found in the Service Manual, p.10 – 11, or How Al-Anon Works, p. 8, the Preamble to the 12 Steps, found in the Service Manual, p.12, or at the beginning of the three daily readers, and the 12 Steps with introductory paragraph, which are found in the back of all three daily readers?
9. PROGRAM: We will be using Al-Anon’s Blueprint for Progress. If you don’t have this work book, please have pen and paper ready. Writing is a suggested part of the meeting, but you are also welcome to meditate on the readings and questions.
We will tell you how to order THE REVISED EXPANDED EDITION OF BLUEPRINT FOR PROGRESS from Al-Anon at the after the meeting closes.
10. It is our intention in this meeting to start from the beginning of the Blueprint for Progress and work through it until completed. We will study 3 to 5 sub-questions a meeting, followed by the FINDINGS question at the end of a MAIN CATEGORY. At the next meeting we will pick up where we left off.
11. How many people have the Revised edition of the Blueprint for Progress? (Try to get three or four readers) Would someone please read THE PURPOSE FOR STEP FOUR – all of page 9 and the first paragraph on page 10 – or from the older version on p. ____. (if no one has the book, leader reads it. If no Blueprint is available, we will read from Paths to Recovery, Step 4.
12. Would someone please read the explanatory paragraphs below the Category (ie: Fear, Honesty, Self-Worth) that we are working on this week?
13. Would someone please read the Reflections for that Category?
14. Would someone please read 3 to 5 questions, followed by the Findings question, three times slowly, so others can write them down. Ask for five minutes of silence so people can write and/or meditate on the questions.
15. SHARING: We will now have three minute shares. Is there someone who will be the spiritual time-keeper?
When sharing, you may read, share, or both. As these questions are very personal, you are also welcome to share in a general way on the topic. Who would like to share?
(End the meeting at the top of the hour.) Thanks everyone for sharing.
16. Here’s how you can get the Expanded Blueprint for Progress work book, as well as any other literature you may need.
A. Purchase it at a face-to-face meeting
B. Call Al-Anon world service at (757) 563-1600
C. Purchase online: Go to www.al-anon.alateen.org then click on the English link and then under Publications go to “Shop on line”. Once there go to “Product Search” and type in P-91 or Blueprint for progress. When the pictures of the wordbooks come up, make sure you get the revised expanded edition.
D. You can get it at your local Al-Anon Intergroup Office (which may also be called an Information Service Office or Literature Depot). Check online or in your phone directory, or check with the WSO or ask about this at your face-to-face meeting.
17. PHONE NUMBERS: Now it is time to call out the names of people you would like to get a phone number from and after the closing in the meeting schedule we will get the numbers. The people who shared were: (list the names).
18. Is there someone on the line that could stay after the meeting to answer questions for newcomers and continue fellowship?
SUGGESTED AL-ANON CLOSING: May I have a volunteer to read the Suggested Al-Anon Closing, found in the Service Manual, p. 22, or How Al-Anon Works, p. 396?
All who would like to join me in the Serenity Prayer, please press *1.
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
(Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual pg. 12)
Thank you everyone that read and shared and special thank you for our Spiritual timer.
Ok is ________________ on the line? Would you like to give out your phone # ?
Meeting schedule can be accessed on the web at www.phonemeetings.org Format changes and website related requests can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any new meetings and format draft ideas can be brought to the Monthly Business Meeting on the 4th Saturday of the month at 2pm EST. All other general questions can be sent to email@example.com
Eastern Time Zones on the same phone and pin number you dialed in for this meeting.
6am 7 days a week
9am Weekdays (Monday ----- Friday)
Noon Monday ----- Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday & Sunday
12 midnight Monday and Thursday
Secretary turns the meeting over to the newcomer greeter.