Thursday 9am - Technical Information
For the Secretary/Chair to read before leading a phone bridge meeting
As the Secretary/Chair for this meeting you will be given a “leader code” that will give you more features on the key pad than other members.
Here is some information that will help before dialing into the meeting once you have been given the leader code.
1. Dial the phone number and then use the regular pin number followed by the # sign that everyone else uses.
2. There will be a voice prompt after entering the regular pin # that says “IF YOU ARE THE MODERATOR PLEASE PRESS 1.”
3. Follow the prompt and Press 1. The word “moderator” and “leader” mean the same thing.
4. The voice prompt will again say “PLEASE ENTER THE MODERATOR PIN (Leader Code) number FOLLOWED BY THE # SIGN”.
5. You will join the phone meeting muted after entering the leader code and # sign. Press *1 to unmute yourself and then introduce yourself as the Secretary/Chair of the meeting. Press *0 for a menu of all features.
Probably one of the most important services you can give as the Secretary/Chair is to have the highest sound quality on the phone bridge system. This means without background noise and weak sound quality. “Sound” is all we have for the phone meeting to work.
Background noise can be taken as disrespectful or interruptive while members are speaking. As a trusted servant you can guide the meeting without background noise or interruptions to the best of your ability.
Along with your own skills; here are a few tips and a few pieces of information to help you:
1. Technically the phone bridge system is built for “only” one person to be unmuted at a time. This of course would include, You (the Secretary/Chair) as well as the Timekeeper to stay muted by using the *1 keys. The timekeeper only unmutes to say “time”. The Secretary/Chair unmutes a few seconds before the member is done sharing to welcome the next share. You can remind the timekeeper to please stay muted except to say “time”. (Only one line unmuted at a time).
2. As the Secretary/Chair (with the leader code) you are encouraged to use the *5 to clear the line to address the noise. This ensures that members will be able to speak so their share can be heard. Then the member can press the *1 keys to continue sharing without the previous background noise. We call this “Cycling Through”. (Most of the time people forget to mute and don’t know they are not muted). This can be done by saying “Excuse the interruption, I’m going to clear the line” and then press *5 keys. You then could say, “Whoever was sharing please press *1 and begin again,” or “Whoever would now like to share please press *1 to unmute yourself.”
3. Some meetings have multiple readers. The extra unmuted lines will cause the reading to be heard by some but not by other members.
Here are some suggestions.
1. Organize the readers so they know the order they will be reading.
2. Then tell the rest of the readers to mute until a few seconds before it is their turn to read.
3. After each member reads remind them to mute again.
4. (AS A Rule of Thumb), just because you can hear does not mean that other members can. These phones meetings have global coverage. Not all phones have equal sound. Only one line unmuted at a time will keep a clear worldwide phone line for everyone during the meeting.
These 4 technical points can promote safety, warmth and recovery similar to face to face meetings. This was written to assist you to know and understand the phone bridge technical features.
Thank you for taking the time to read these suggestions. If you need help, just ask. Congratulations on doing service and beginning the flow that opens our heart to what it already knows---that we all need each other.
Your Web Coordinator
The Meeting Format Starts Now
(This is the part you read out loud)
Thursday 9am Gratitude Meeting
INTRODUCTION: We welcome you to the Thursday 9 am topic meeting on Gratitude. This meeting lasts for 1 hour and 15 minutes, and closing will begin 12 minutes after the top of the hour. At this meeting we read short selections on Gratitude from any of our Al-Anon Conference Approved Literature on the topic of Gratitude.
1) My name is _____________, a grateful Al-Anon member and your chair/secretary for this meeting.
2) Please un-mute and open the meeting with the Serenity Prayer
3. Ask for volunteers to read:
a) Al-Anon’s Preamble to The Twelve Steps
b) Al-Anon’s 12 Steps (one page after December 31 in all three mediations books)
c) One Tradition & One Concept of the month (one and two pages respectively after the 12 Steps in all three meditation books)
4) Let’s go around the globe and introduce ourselves. Hi, I am ______(Name)_____ from (_______State___)
5) Announcements: 7th Tradition: Al-Al-Anon is fully self-supporting, declining outside contributions. We ask that you send your contributions to the World Service Office address: Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc.
1600 Corporate Landing Parkway
Virginia Beach, VA 23454-5617
or you can give to your face to face meetings . Our WSO ID NUMBER is – 30534441.
5a) The Business meeting is on the 1st Thursday of the month.
5b) The complete Meeting Schedule will be read after this Meeting closes and after phone numbers are exchanged. Announcements for meetings on other phone bridges can be announced after the Schedule is read for this phone bridge.
Are there any other Al-Anon related announcements?
6) Please disable your call waiting before dialing into the meeting and do not share on a speaker phone or we will all hear an echo. Please stay muted at all times unless you are sharing. Know you are welcomed and included in a meeting even when you are muted. Monitors occasionally have to clear the line to improve quality and clarity so everyone can hear. If you are disconnected please call back in and stay muted. *1 is how you mute and un-mute.
7) Readings: Do we have three volunteers who like to read a short reading from any of our Al-Anon Conference Approved Literature on the topic of gratitude?
8) ANONYMITY STATEMENT: In Al-Anon this is a gentle reminder that we speak from our own experience and ours is derived from living with the effects of alcoholism. We ask those who are members of other anonymous fellowships not to break their anonymity and to try and identify with the Al-Anon approach for the family illness. Ours is a different experience and calls for a different interpretation.
resist the desire to comment on another person’s share.
Your intention may be to show support, but, could be misinterpreted.
9) Timekeeper: Do we have a volunteer to be our spiritual timekeeper.”.
10) Sharing: We will now begin sharing. Would our spiritual timekeeper like to share first?
11a) CLOSING: It is now 3 minutes before the close of the meeting. Now is the time to ask for numbers of people who have shared.
The chair reads or asks for a volunteer to read: The Suggested Al-Anon Closing from the Al-Anon/Alateen Service Manual on pg. 22 or How Al-Anon Works p. 380.
Now would all who care to, please un-mute and join together to say The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.
11) We request a newcomer greeter to stay on the line and facilitate the after meeting. (Note to secretary: On day of business meeting please request the newcomer greeter to leave their phone number for newcomers to call with any questions)
11b) Meeting is now closed. ** Get numbers**
All Eastern Time Zones on the same phone and pin number as you dialed in for this meeting.
6am 7 days a week
8am Saturday and Sunday
9am Weekdays (Monday thru Friday)
12 noon Monday - Saturday
4pm 7 days a week
8pm 7 days a week
10pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Midnight Monday and Thursday
12a) We now open up a space for people to announce other Al-Anon meetings with different phone numbers and pin numbers. Do we have anyone that would like to announce a different Al-anon meeting?
To hear a listing of all meetings on this phone bridge, please dial 712-432-8774, pin code 52639#.